The main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing. - Stephen Covey

FORUM

Go ahead and POST!

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Awards Season 2012

It's that time again!

Not just the time to be shocked by your credit card bill from the holidays...
or making it a full two weeks before breaking this year's resolution...
or even bowl game season (meaning making it through several bowls of chips and dip while coaching your favorite football team from your living room.)

No, of course, I'm talking about awards season!

Yes, there is a method to this madness that I'm so impressed by. Genius marketing, really! Hollywood has discovered that if they create a COMPETITION around some of their less mainstream movies, they can still sell them to a mainstream audience! Everyone gets vested in ___________(fill in the blank - football, movies, figure skating, etc...) when there's competition involved!! It's a brilliant plan and one that really works! Now we all have to go out and watch a bevy of movies so we can pontificate on the virtues of our favorite shows and actors.

And it's no accident that awards season is strategically placed at the beginning of the year. This time of year is known in the industry as the bone-yard for movies. Meaning, if a big production company makes a movie and subsequently decides it's a dog, they "bury" it in January (or September.) However, because of that, January and September are good times to release independent films because they're not competing with big studio tentpole cinema events with their tentpole marketing budgets. (That is, if you don't count all of the Christmas releases that are still playing.)

All that said, I know it sounds like I'm slamming the nefarious motives of the entertainment industry. I'm not. Actually, I'm a huge fan. With all of the various awards shows coming up (Starting this evening with the Golden Globes) this is the one time that the industry focuses more on compelling stories and quality performances over eye-popping special effects. It is truly the movie industry's Bowl Game season. So grab a bowl of popcorn and saddle up to the Tinsel Town Bowl!

Because I'm a member of the Screen Actor's Guild, I get to vote for the SAG awards - the rarely watched and virtually un-publicized ugly step sister to the Academy awards. (*For those of you interested, the 18th Annual SAG Awards® will be broadcast live on TNT Sunday Jan. 27th at 8 p.m. eastern and 5 p.m. pacific) However, being privy to the contenders for the SAG awards gives me some insight into what may be coming down the pike for the Oscars. Here is a complete list of the movies and TV shows nominated:

Outstanding performance by a male actor in a leading role
DEMIÁN BICHIR as Carlos Galindo - "A Better Life"
GEORGE CLOONEY as Matt King - "The Descendants"
LEONARDO DiCAPRIO as J. Edgar Hoover - "J. Edgar"
JEAN DUJARDIN as George - "The Artist"
BRAD PITT as Billy Beane - "Moneyball"

Outstanding performance by a female actor in a leading role
GLENN CLOSE as Albert Nobbs - "Albert Nobbs"
VIOLA DAVIS as Aibileen Clark - "The Help"
MERYL STREEP as Margaret Thatcher - "The Iron Lady"
TILDA SWINTON as Eva - "We Need to Talk About Kevin"
MICHELLE WILLIAMS as Marilyn Monroe - "My Week With Marilyn"

Outstanding performance by a male actor in a supporting role
KENNETH BRANAGH as Sir Laurence Olivier - "MY WEEK WITH MARILYN"
ARMIE HAMMER as Clyde Tolson - "J. Edgar"
JONAH HILL as Peter Brand - "Moneyball"
NICK NOLTE as Paddy Conlon - "Warrior"
CHRISTOPHER PLUMMER as Hal - "Beginners"

Outstanding performance by a female actor in a supporting role
BÉRÉNICE BEJO as Peppy - "The Artist"
JESSICA CHASTAIN as Celia Foote - "The Help"
MELISSA McCARTHY as Megan - "Bridesmaids"
JANET McTEER as Hubert Page - "Albert Nobbs"
OCTAVIA SPENCER as Minny Jackson - "The Help"

Outstanding performance by a cast in a motion picture
"The Artist"
"Bridesmaids"
"The Descendants"
"The Help"
"Midnight in Paris"

TELEVISION

Outstanding performance by a male actor in a drama series
PATRICK J. ADAMS as Mike Ross - "Suits"
STEVE BUSCEMI as Enoch "Nucky" Thomson - "Boardwalk Empire"
KYLE CHANDLER as Eric Taylor - "Friday Night Lights"
BRYAN CRANSTON as Walter White - "Breaking Bad"
MICHAEL C. HALL as Dexter Morgan - "Dexter"

Outstanding performance by a female actor in a drama series
KATHY BATES as Harriet Korn - "Harry's Law"
GLENN CLOSE as Patty Hewes - "Damages"
JESSICA LANGE as Constance - "American Horror Story"
JULIANNA MARGULIES as Alicia Florrick - "The Good Wife"
KYRA SEDGWICK as Dept. Chief Brenda Leigh Johnson - "The Closer"

Outstanding performance by a male actor in a comedy series
ALEC BALDWIN as Jack Donaghy - "30 Rock"
TY BURRELL as Phil Dunphy - "Modern Family"
STEVE CARELL as Michael Scott - "The Office"
JON CRYER as Alan Harper - "Two and a Half Men"
ERIC STONESTREET as Cameron Tucker - "Modern Family"

Outstanding performance by a female actor in a comedy series
JULIE BOWEN as Claire Dunphy - "Modern Family"
EDIE FALCO as Jackie Peyton - "Nurse Jackie"
TINA FEY as Liz Lemon - "30 Rock"
SOFIA VERGARA as Gloria Delgado-Pritchett - "Modern Family"
BETTY WHITE as Elka Ostrovsky - "Hot in Cleveland"

Outstanding performance by an ensemble in a drama series
"Boardwalk Empire"
"Breaking Bad"
"Dexter"
"Game of Thrones"
"The Good Wife"

Outstanding performance by an ensemble in a comedy series
"30 Rock"
"The Big Bang Theory"
"Glee"
"Modern Family"
"The Office"

Outstanding performance by a male actor in a television movie or miniseries
LAURENCE FISHBURNE as Thurgood Marshall - "Thurgood"
PAUL GIAMATTI as Ben Bernanke - "Too Big to Fail"
GREG KINNEAR as Jack Kennedy - "The Kennedys"
GUY PEARCE as Monty Beragon - "Mildred Pierce"
JAMES WOODS as Richard Fuld - "Too Big to Fail"

Outstanding performance by a female actor in a television movie or Miniseries
DIANE LANE as Pat Loud - "Cinema Verite"
MAGGIE SMITH as Violet, Dowager Countess of Grantham - "Downton Abbey"
EMILY WATSON as Janet Leach - "Appropriate Adult"
BETTY WHITE as Caroline Thomas - "Hallmark Hall of Fame: The Lost Valentine"
KATE WINSLET as Mildred Pierce - "Mildred Pierce"

HONORS FOR STUNT ENSEMBLES

Outstanding Performance by a Stunt Ensemble in a Motion Picture
"The Adjustment Bureau"
"Cowboys & Aliens"
"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows -- Part 2"
"Transformers: Dark of the Moon"
"X-Men: First Class"

Outstanding Performance by a Stunt Ensemble in a Television Series
"Dexter"
"Game of Thrones"
"Southland"
"Spartacus: Gods of the Arena"
"True Blood"

48TH LIFE ACHIEVEMENT AWARD

MARY TYLER MOORE


Let me know what you would pick and why!

All Things Possible,
Chris

10 Comments:

  • At 8:46 PM, January 15, 2012 , Blogger SusanGail said...

    Thought there might be a new topic somehow.Maybe my intuition is perking up finally! No way of knowing unless I happen to check:). Amazingly, we saw Moneyball last night, as we finally remembered to order it from Netflix. I see why they like both Brad Pitt and Jonah Hill. Enjoyed the movie and their performances. And the story. I remember back when I used to think that a certain person resembled Brad Pitt,in action and expression, and watching him in that movie, I still think I'm right. Am I the only one? Look forward to the Descendants soon. Looks like lots of films to add to our list here.
    Thanks for the great movie blog;)
    ATB/P/Sue

     
  • At 1:25 PM, January 16, 2012 , Blogger Tim said...

    The only one I can put a check mark next to is Mary Tyler Moore as, I kid you not, I have not seen a single one of the other movies or TV shows. I don't know if that is good or bad.
    T

     
  • At 12:18 AM, January 17, 2012 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I'm pleaed to see The Adjustment Bureau up there. It wasn't really well advertised over here and i only saw it by chance because we had free tickets to use up. An unexpected jewel of a film.

    Angi

     
  • At 6:45 PM, January 17, 2012 , Blogger Tanya said...

    OK, I can only speak for the stunts. X-men and True Blood. Reason being... Those are the ones with the most aerial stunts

    Come fly with me - (we now have a rig in Vegas) - Tanya

     
  • At 8:07 PM, January 17, 2012 , Blogger Dave W said...

    Quite a list, and I'm a little surprised at how few of the movie nominees I've seen this year. I thought I went to quite a few movies, but apparently not the critically acclaimed ones.

    So of the ones I can comment on here are my choices:

    Television
    Outstanding performance by a male actor in a drama series: I'd vote for Kyle Chandler in "Friday Night Lights." This is a tough field but with this year being "Lights" final season Kyle would get my vote.

    Outstanding performance by a female actor in a drama series: Kahy Bates in "Harry's Law." I don't really like what they've done with the show this season but I've always liked Kathy Bates.

    Male Actor in a comedy series: I think this is the strongest field of nominees IMHO, but I'd go with Eric Stonestreet in "Modern Family." I think he gives a consistent, believable performance each and every episode. I'll admit that Steve Carell is probably the emotional favorite in this one as he just left "The Office" and I also think that Jon Cryer doesn't get the credit he deserves, but I'm sticking with Eric.

    Female Actor in a comedy series: Betty White, hands down. "Cleveland" is an average show at best - but I watch it mainly for Betty. Plus, 90 years old and still going strong and at the high point of her career...well, that's gotta be worth something, right?

    Ensemble in a comdey series: another tough category as all are excellent ensemble shows. But, "Big Bang Theory" is my current favorite show so they would get my vote.

    Stunt Ensemble in a motion picture: I'd go with "Cowboys and Aliens" though I didn't see "The Adjustment Bureau." My gut tells me that "Cowboys" actually used more stunt performers than the others which relied heavily on CGI, but I could be wrong, of course.

    Everything else, I didn't see.

    I'm also glad that Mary Tyler Moore is being recognized for life achievement. In addition to being a great actress she also does so much good in raising awareness about diabetes and funds to fight the same.

    DaveW

     
  • At 8:50 PM, January 17, 2012 , Blogger SusanGail said...

    Great comments. Why isn't War Horse on there? Tim, temps are inching downward. Keep you and your crew warm. Angi, thanks for tip about Adjustment Bureau. And Tanya, hope to learn more about your rig in Vegas. Looking forward to an aerial update!
    Hugs everyone...Sue

     
  • At 8:52 PM, January 17, 2012 , Blogger SusanGail said...

    Hi everyone... a second post or not. I'm not sure my comments went through. And finally the box comes up to get the email, but after I thought I already posted. If my post got up, Chris, just never mind this one. ATB and all that:)Sue

     
  • At 2:42 PM, January 18, 2012 , Blogger SusanGail said...

    LOL...how are these postings working?:) Must be a ghost rider in the sky checking them out:)... I missed your list Dave, and was happy to see it. You and Chris make a great team for movie and entertainment news. And, I surely should have said a huge hurrah for Mary Tyler Moore, one of my all-time favorites forever. Lots of movies to see yet! Sue

     
  • At 8:18 PM, January 20, 2012 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I'm not a fan of the dramatic series, so I have to pass on them.
    As far as the comedies go, Betty White has a comedic timing second to none. She can get away with playing rolls with highly sexual scripts and yet, pull off the "sweet old lady" side at the same time. FANTASTIC!
    I've seen "Modern Family", I don't understand the hype. I didn't find it that funny. No vote there.
    For the ensemble in a comedy series, I would give the nod to "The Big Bang Theory". The show consistantly makes me laugh out loud. A great cast is made better by a superb writing staff.
    I saw none of the listed movies or miniseries.
    I'm happy to see that MTM is receiving the Life Achievement Award. She is a funny woman and she has done so much to lend herself to JDF. I think it's important for celebrities to get behind some kind of cause; JDF, AIDS, or even getting people to donate blood. Their faces can grab a lot of attention for these much-deserving causes. (Though many celebrities seem only interested in aligning themselves with products and the money they will make from them.)

     
  • At 9:36 PM, January 22, 2012 , Blogger SusanGail said...

    OK, I can't resist the opportunity to wish everyone a Happy Chinese New Year AND....
    Happy Birthday to our dear Ute!
    May 2012 be All Things Beautiful and Possible and Fun! Sue (both in the movies and in our lives:)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home