The main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing. - Stephen Covey

FORUM

Go ahead and POST!

Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Music

I have heard it said music is the language of the heart. I find that music really does speak to me on an energetic level. Many of you have mentioned that music helps you be creative or confident or healed. When I prepare for a role, I try to find the music that the character is playing in his head. We all have a theme song that plays in our head that informs us of how to be. It is amazing the power of knowing that you can change your own theme song just by choosing to listen to a different station! As mentioned in the new tutorial up on the Fan Contribution page, music is a powerful tool for creating a state of mind. When you approach a task, ask yourself what state would most help in this situation. Confidence? Understanding? Explosive Power? Calm? And what is your theme song for creating that particular state?

As I mentioned in a previous blog about music, I find that movie soundtracks speak to me. I love the winning music of Rocky, or the mysterious music of Meet Joe Black. I am a big fan of Mahler and Prokofiev from early last century as well. Sometimes I'm inspired by the music of nature or the din of the city and other times I just like some good old rock and roll.





(Here I am with a rock band Red 7 I use to sing with in the early 90's. L-R that's me, Kevin, Jamie, and Mark)






So what theme songs do you choose for the states you create in life?

All Things Possible!
Chris

4 Comments:

  • At 7:47 PM, September 24, 2005 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I'm aging myself here, but it seems like every couple has a theme song or movie soundtrack that brings memories of their courtship days. For my husband and me, our movie theme was "Dr Zhivago" and when I hear it, it brings pleasant memories of days gone by. For my parents, it was the song "Always" and it was played at both their funerals. I'll always think of them and our family when I hear it. -- MBP

     
  • At 7:34 AM, September 26, 2005 , Blogger Christopher Showerman said...

    Great Music!! MPB and Natirico - Great Movies too!! I remember Dr. Zhivago as one of the best epic love tales ever. It still holds up today. I never saw Message in a Bottle, but the Composer, Gabriel Yared, wrote some of my favorite sound bytes in a movie called "The Talented Mr. Ripley" as well. Good One!

    All Things Possible!
    C

     
  • At 1:26 PM, September 27, 2005 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Music definately has an influence on one's emotions. Otherwise I wouldn't always feel like crying when I hear "The Last Unicorn" for example. Oh boy! Great movie, though. And of course there are a lot of songs that can lift your spirits or calm your nerves.

    I have a large selection of all kinds of music: lots of musical, TV and movie Soundtracks (including Always!), classic stuff, Oldies, Operas, Swing, a lot of 80s music from when I was growing up, country...

    When I want music to listen to while working or maybe to wake me up I chose it on the moment - whatever I feel like just then - for waking up I need something with a lot of rhythm in it, to work to I need something that gives a nice background "noise" without distracting me: newcomer Tyler Hilton, for example.

    Talking about music, I remembered a fitting quote from one of my favourite tv shows:
    "Do it for the Jazz!" Anyone remember that one?

    Ute

     
  • At 10:41 PM, September 27, 2005 , Blogger Christopher Showerman said...

    Hey Ute! I like your using music while you are tasking. I usually work in silence, but my favorite waking up song is PANAMA from Van Halen.

    PS - Natira - Glad you are back from the hospital! Stay Healthy!!

    ATP!
    Chris

     

Post a Comment

<< Home