The main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing. - Stephen Covey

FORUM

Go ahead and POST!

Sunday, August 16, 2009

Blake Snyder 1957-2009

I'd like to bring your attention to a hero of mine who recently passed. He is an entertainment industry icon for those of us lucky enough to be touched by his work. Blake Snyder was a screenwriter who wrote "Stop Or My Mom Will Shoot" and "Blank Check" but he is best known as a great teacher and inspiration for screenwriters.

Blake Snyder with his books "Save The Cat" and "Save the Cat Goes to the Movies"

at the Great Wall of China

His book "Save the Cat" (2005) quickly rose to become the industry standard for screenwriters. I wrote my last screenplay with Blake's book open on one side of the computer at all times. But beyond his talent for writing and teaching, he was an uncommonly generous spirit. Blake published his personal email address in his book (!!!!) and encouraged all who wished to contact him with questions or conflicts with their writing - and he answered them all! He was a truly unique and beautiful spirit and will be missed by those of us who were lucky enough to be touched by his inspiration, encouragement, and hope.

Thanks Blake.

All Things Possible,
Chris

PS: More on Blake and his writing innovations at www.savethecat.com

6 Comments:

  • At 12:12 PM, August 17, 2009 , Anonymous Ute said...

    Hey Chris, what a guy. You can also tell by looking at his website.
    So sorry to hear he passed away. I loved "Stop Or My Mom Will Shoot", a really fun story.
    Big hugs to you and ATP
    Ute

     
  • At 8:51 PM, August 17, 2009 , Blogger SusanGail said...

    Along with Ute, I'm sending my well wishes to you, Chris. I read the blog post today about it, and it's an amazing story of the influence a person can have in a lifetime. Hearing such news of the loss of a beloved mentor or friend always makes us sit up and take notice about the effect of our own life on those around us. Even if the person is not within our personal circle, when the voice is stilled, it leaves a hole. My ATB focus gained strength when I learned of the works of Irish author John O'Donohue. No sooner had I heard an interview with him and searched out his books, he died. I guess, in these cases, it's up to us to help pass along the essence of their truth. This reminds me of the eulogy you gave for your friend and mentor Dalee Henderson. Can't believe it's been nearly four years. But by simply sharing your perspective of him, you touched many lives. Hope you won't mind me sharing my favorite quote, which you gave us...I keep it with me to remind me of ATB and ATP:)
    "Wake Up!!And experience the love, the light, the joy, the splendor, the Miracle of life. simply by being alive, you have been invited to the greatest show in the universe. Sit back, relax, take a deep breath, and enjoy the show....Leave a message."

    All Things Beautiful...Sue

     
  • At 10:16 AM, August 19, 2009 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    This is indeed a great loss. It is very hard, I know from personal experiences, to lose a mentor. Everything happens for a reason, just remember that. My prayers are with all those that are feeling his loss.

    Tanya Hoover

     
  • At 1:17 PM, August 22, 2009 , Blogger Keith Patrick Dunn said...

    I am so sorry to learn of the loss of so groovy a guy. Not knowing him, that's the best I can do.
    But I actually came around to give you good (((VIBES))). I was thinking of YOU recently and thought WOW! I NEED TO SEE HIM MORE AND ALL OVER ASAP.
    Go get 'em, Tiger! You so totally can.....
    Affection, a fan
    Keith

     
  • At 8:25 PM, August 22, 2009 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    It's always sad when someone dies, but especially when that someone is an inspiration, hero, and relatively young. It's a sad but I know his legacy will live on...

    DaveW

     
  • At 2:49 PM, September 12, 2009 , Anonymous Alex said...

    I appreciated all of you shared here, such lovely thoughts to remember Blake Snyder as well. I'm sorry he passed away; another great, unique, bright soul who flew away this year... Another tragic loss but his memories will live on. My thoughts go out to his family and friends.

    Alex

     

Post a Comment

<< Home